Motorcyles Sales FAQ's

North West Honda Super Centre Icon

Can you deliver? 

Anywhere in the UK, we can also collect your part exchange. The pricing for this service is not fixed so we can provide the best value.

Can I test ride the bike? 

Yes. We recommend you do! All you need is your driver’s licence showing you are qualified and to arrange a time and date that suits you.

Is there a warranty? 

All our new bikes come with a minimum 2 year manufacturer warranty including breakdown recovery. All used bikes that are no longer protected by their manufacturer’s warranty are supplied with 3 months cover. Extended cover from one to three years can be supplied and will include full AA assistance throughout the UK.

Can I pay for my bike in monthly instalments? 

We offer many finance solutions to make purchasing easy and affordable to suit individual needs.

Do you take part exchanges? 

Yes, motorcycles of any make, age and condition as well as cars, caravans, motorhomes etc!

How do I protect my motorcycle from theft? 

Aftermarket security systems like Datatag, Smartwater and Alphadot can make the difference between losing your bike forever and getting it back.

Because villains know that they can’t sell the parts of a stolen bike on easily when it’s tagged with some sort of security marking they’ll pass it over and steal the unmarked bike in the next street instead.

Even if your bike is stolen because it’s going to be given a fresh superficial identity these systems mean that if the Police run a check on that bike later on, they’ll be able to tell in real time whether that bike is suspicious or not, which means you stand a good chance of your bike being recovered.

I have a provisional motorcycle licence, what can I ride? 

This is dependent on your age. At 16 years old, once you have completed your CBT you can ride a moped. Over 17 and you can ride a machine no larger than 125cc - but no passengers can be carried and you must display L Plates. The certificate is valid for 2 years after which you will need to re-take a CBT course.

What if my full car licence was issued after 1st February 2001? 

Then you will need to take Compulsory Basic training (CBT). If your choice is to ride a moped then your CBT will be valid until the date that your licence expires at 70 years of age. A valid CBT certificate will allow you to ride a motorcycle or scooter no larger than 125cc, but you must carry L plates and you may not carry a passenger. Your CBT certificate will be valid for 2 years from the date of issue.

I have a full car licence, what can I ride? 

If your licence was issued before 1st February 2001, then you can ride a 50cc moped, capable of not more than 30mph. Even though you may have little or no experience the law states that you will not need to display L plates, and you can carry a passenger if the motorcycle has a passenger seat and rear footrests. However, riding without any form of training is not to be advised - and a CBT offers a level of training which will include an assessment of your on road skills as well as teaching you control on an off road area... it is highly recommended that you take at least a CBT course before taking to the road. If you want to ride a motorcycle over 50cc, no larger than 125cc, you must take Compulsory Basic Training (CBT), you must display L plates, and you must not carry passengers until you have passed both parts of your motorcycle test.. The CBT certificate is valid for 2 years.

What if I have already passed a theory test for another type of vehicle i.e. Car, HGV or PSV do I have to take it again? 

Unfortunately you do need to do a Motorcycle Theory test even if you have a theory test in another category. The law now requires you to pass a Theory test in the category for which you are being tested.

Do I need to do a motorcycle theory test before I can take a CBT course? 

It is not necessary to do the theory test before you do your CBT - it just has to be completed before taking your test. It is worth taking a look at the Highway-code elements in preparation for your CBT course.

Do I need to sit a Theory Test? 

If you intend to gain a full motorcycle licence, you must sit a Motorcycle Theory Test. Book this directly with the Driving Standards Agency at or on 0300 200 1122. You do not need to do a theory test to sit the CBT.

Is ABS necessary? 

While its not necessary to operate a motorcycle, it could be the difference between coming to a safe stop, and crashing. You will run into people who claim that you'll never learn proper emergency braking technique with an ABS equipped bike but in the heat of the moment you won't have time to think about those techniques, especially if you're a beginner. Most likely you don't have the training and reactions of Valentino Rossi, so why risk not having ABS?

I've just bought my first bike, what gear will I need? 

We stock everything you need in our clothing and accessory shops including helmets, jeans, boots, leathers, jackets and gloves. Our friendly staff will advise you on the best kit for yourself.

What is a good starter bike? 

Primarily, something you feel comfortable riding and not overwhelmed. We stock everything from a 50cc scooter to an 1800cc tourer, see our friendly sales team for help and advice.